Wellsboro blanks Galeton.

By: Brett R. Crossley | Towanda Daily Review | October 30, 2016


HUGHESVILLE — Tanner Runyan found himself in the right place at the right time in the first half of Saturday's District 4 playoff game against No. 5 Galeton.

A rebound from a shot found its way to Runyan's feet. He quickly tapped the ball in for Wellsboro's first goal of the game.

It was an evenly matched game the rest of the way, but a strong defensive effort and second goal gave No. 4 Wellsboro a 2-0 over Galeton at Hughesville's Raymond H. Perritt Stadium.

Wellsboro will take on East Juniata Tuesday at a site and time yet to be named.

As for the game against Galeton, Runyan's tally mid-way through the first proved to be the game's decisive goal.

"We all worked as a team to get to the goal and I just followed the rebound for a shot," Runyan said.

The Green Hornets broke through in the second half when Josiah Hill pushed a ball by the Galeton keeper for a 2-0 lead.

"It was real important," Runyan said of the second goal. "After we got that second goal, it was important to just calm down and play the ball to feet."

Hill celebrated with a quick jump and fist pump before a group of teammates mobbed him.

Galeton pressured immediately after the goal, putting up two shots, but falling short in both instances.

The Green Hornets' defense was smothering. They limited Galeton to just four shots on goal.

"I'm a defensive coach and tell the kids you can't lose a game if it's 0-0. I was very pleased with the backline," Wellsboro coach John Shaffer said. "We have a young backline coming together. We have been building them all year and they really came together today."

The Tigers were forced to shoot from outside the 18 as Wellsboro's backline did a nice job of collapsing and clogging the middle of the field.

"We were going to let them shoot from deep, but not get easy chances," Shaffer said. "They were brilliant."

The Green Hornets connected passes from the mid-field well, which helped setup scoring chances.

Hill and Runyan, along with the rest of the Hornets offense, kept the pressure up throughout both halves.

Wellsboro was able to add an insurance goal in the opening ten minutes of the second half when Hill beat Galeton's keeper with a hard shot.

"We told the kids at halftime we cannot just sit on a one goal lead," Shaffer said. "If it stays 1-0 the pressure builds on us."

Luckily for Wellsboro, that pressure did not even have a chance to get started as Hill cashed in early for a 2-0 lead.

Galeton produced eight shots in the first half, but struggled in the second as it recorded just three without a single one going on target.