As we get closer to the 2020-2021 basketball post season, please take time to review the rules for the 2020-2021 PIAA District IV Playoffs. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, our playoffs will look different this year. Please share this information with your respective Principals so they are aware of this year's changes. Your cooperation is appreciated as this is a challenging time for everyone.
Enclosed is a copy of the rules as approved by the District IV Committee for your convenience. You must notify Chris Venna by noon on Friday, February 19, 2021, if your school does not wish to be considered for post-season basketball competition. Those schools not notifying the District IV Committee will be expected to participate in the District IV tournament. Failure to do so could bring disciplinary action from the committee. Also, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. The brackets for the District Tournament will be released Sunday, February 28, 2021.
*** For the 2020-2021 season, in Class AAAA, AAA, AA & A (Boys and Girls) only the top (8) teams based on Power Rating will be eligible for the District IV Tournament. Teams will be seeded based upon their Power Rating. District IV Teams must play 10 or more games to be eligible for the playoffs. Class 5A Boys will qualify through the District 6 playoffs. Class 5A Girls will have a District 4 Champion that will then have a play-in game with the District 11 5A Girls Champion. Class 6A Boys and Girls will qualify through the District 2 playoffs.
2000 West State St.
Coal Township, PA 17860
Phone: (570) 648-5731 (4116)
Fax: (570) 648-0601
Past Standings/Championship Brackets
- Once a contest has been completed, you may enter a result for that contest.
- Access the Schedule Page for a fall sport.
- Once the Schedule Page is shown, move the cursor to the W/L/T blue link for that contest. Click on the W/L/T link.
- A white box will pop up with W/L/T in the middle. W stands for Win, L for Loss and T for Tie.
- There is no default in the box below. Type in the appropriate letter – W for Win, L for Loss or T for Tie – into that box. Click OK.
- Another white box will pop up with Score: in the middle. Type the score of the contest into the box. Example: 22-14 Click OK.
- The Scheduler will immediately update the result. The W/L/T will be replaced by the contest result (a W, L or a T with a blue link) followed by the score in the next box in black type.
- NOTE: Schools must list the winning score first regardless of whether your school was the winner or the loser.
- In addition, please double-check the accuracy of the contest score itself. Remember, the results do show up on the Fan Page and our fans - and media - notice if one result is marked 22-14 and the other is marked 21-14.
All teams will be required to submit scores to MaxPreps after each game in order to confirm regular season records and manage postseason qualification. All Teams must also maintain a completed roster in MaxPreps to participate in the playoffs.
Visit www.MaxPreps.com/AD and enter your email address to sign in, if needed. If you are not a member on MaxPreps, click on "Create an Account" under AD/Coach Account on the right and register to access your team information.
- Select "Set up Admin Accounts" and enter your team's access code to link your account.
- You are done! You will not need the access code to login in the future. You will enter your email and password to access your team information moving forward.
- If you need your access code, please reach out to the MaxPreps Coach Support team at email@example.com or 800-329-7324 x1.
Once you login, what do we need from you?
- UPDATE the coaches at your school
- CHECK to make sure all of your team's schedule/scores are up-to-date throughout the season
If you have any questions at all about MaxPreps or how to get started, please reach out MaxPreps Coach Support at 800-329-7324 x1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach out to Kylie McLarty, PIAA District IV representative, at email@example.com or 916.397.8600.
District IV Basketball Playoff Format
Please note, teams participating in the tournament must agree to follow the playoff rules of District IV and the PIAA. All games played up to and including February 27, 2021, for A, AA, AAA and AAAA schools will be counted for seeding purposes. The District IV playoff games will be played the week of March 01 through March 06 and the week of March 08 through March 13. The tentative finals will be held Thursday – Saturday (March 11-13). Interdistrict play begins on Tuesday, March 16. The State Championships will be held Thursday – Saturday (March 25 – 27) at the Giant Center in Hershey.
For future scheduling purposes, the 2022 District IV basketball playoff games have been scheduled for the weeks of February 21 and February 28. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (570) 648-5752 or (570) 205-1144.
Power Rankings System
Usage: To be used in all self-contained District IV Team Championship sports. To be used in sub-regionals where agreements with other districts have been reached.
The power rating will be a combination of the team's weighted winning percentage (TWWP) and their opponents' weighted winning percentage (OWWP). The power rating would be the sum of 59 percent of the team's TWWP and 41 percent of the team's OWWP.
STEP 1: CALCULATING TEAM WEIGHTED WINNING PERCENTAGE (TWWP)
The TWWP is based on the results of all games that a team plays. It values wins and losses by the classification of the opponent. The TWWP is calculated by dividing the WEIGHTED WIN VALUE by the sum of the WEIGHTED WIN VALUE and WEIGHTED LOSS VALUE.
TWWP = 4.95/(4.95 + 5.55) = 0.471428
All PIAA opponents and all non-PIAA opponents who are part of a State Association will count in calculating a team's TWWP and OWWP using the classification system above. Teams that are non-PIAA and not part of a State Association will NOT count in calculating the Power Rating.
STEP 2: CALCULATING OPPONENTS WEIGHTED WINNING PERCENTAGE (OWWP)
The OWWP is calculated by totaling the weighted win values and weighted loss values of all of the team’s opponents; then, dividing the total of the weighted win values by the sum of the totals of the weighted win values and the weighted loss values. If you play your opponent more than once, their totals will be included for each time they are played.
OWWP = 61.5/(61.5 + 35.6) = 0.633367
CALCULATING POWER RATING
The Power Rating is the sum of 59% of the TWWP and 41% of the OWWP. This number will not be over 1.000.
TWWP: 0.471428 * 0.59 = 0.278142
OWWP: 0.633367 * 0.41 = 0.259680
0.278142 + 0.259680
POWER RATING = 0.37822
TIE BREAKING CRITERIA
- Head to Head
- Best TWWP
- Unweighted Winning Percentage against common Regular Season
- Unweighted Winning Percentage against Regular Season
- Unweighted Winning Percentage of Common Regular Season
- Unweighted Winning Percentages of Regular Season Opponents
- Lowest Points/Goals Yielded Average against Common Opponents
- Lowest Points/Goals Yielded Average
- Coin Toss
The tournament will begin March 01, 2021, and conclude on March 13, 2021. The District deadline for completion of our tournament is March 13th.
Interdistrict play begins on Tuesday, March 16, 2021.
The State Championships will be held Thursday – Saturday (March 25 – 27) at the Giant Center in Hershey.
State Playoff Qualifying
- AAAAAA (6A) Boys and Girls teams will qualify through District II.
- AAAAA (5A) Boys teams will qualify through District VI.
- AAAAA (5A) Girls District IV Champion will have a play-in game with the 5A Girls District XI Champion.
Only District Champions will qualify for Interdistrict play.
- Teams will be seeded by their Power Rating.
- Quarterfinal and Semi-final games will be played at the home court of the higher seed. If the higher seeded team does not allow visiting spectators, the lower seeded team will host (provided they allow visiting spectators.) (No Rental Fee will be assessed by host schools in these rounds. District IV will pay for a Game Manager, Site Manager, and the Contest Officials. Host schools are responsible for paying all other workers (including a trainer). District Final games will be played at Williamsport Area High School on March 11, 12, and 13.
- District IV will provide a Contest Site Lease Agreement in advance to the hosting team to cover the cost of insurance and liability.
- All ticket sales will be done online through Hometown Ticketing. Every event will be set with a pre-determined number of tickets. Each school will receive ONE team code. The school administration is responsible for distribution of codes to athletes/parents of their teams. More information regarding online ticket sales is forthcoming. District IV will charge $6 for all tickets (plus additional fees set by Hometown Ticketing). Ticket availability split will be 60% (Home Team) & 40% (Away Team).
- No passes of any kind should be accepted for entry into contests.
- All schools will be required to sign off that no attending members, players, coaches, cheerleaders, etc., have exhibited COVID symptoms.
- In the Quarterfinal and Semi-final rounds, school-based livestreaming is permissible for free once ticket sales are exhausted.
- In the Finals, plans are being made to do a pay-per-view livestream of all the Finals games since spectator capacity is limited.
- Any profits from livestreaming from outside sources, such as TV, radio, web, etc, are the property of PIAA District IV.
- Schools will have the opportunity to recommend officials for the playoffs.
- In Class AAAA, AAA, AA & A (Boys and Girls) only the top (8) teams based on Power Rating will be eligible for the District IV Tournament. Teams will be seeded based upon their Power Rating. District IV Teams must play 10 or more games to be eligible for the playoffs. Class 5A Boys will qualify through the District VI playoffs. Class 5A Girls will have a District IV Champion that will then have a play-in game with the District XI 5A Girls Champion. Class 6A Boys and Girls will qualify through the District II playoffs.
- Any league playoff games or championship games will not be considered for seeding purposes.
- When a PIAA District IV member school or schools cancel a scheduled game without the approval of the District IV Committee, such member school(s) may be subject to suspension from all PIAA playoffs in all sports for a period of one year. COVID related cancellations must be reported to PIAA District IV.
- The tiebreaker process is as listed in the District IV Power Rating information as approved by the District IV Committee.
- Additional criteria to be used for the selection of game sites:
- Availability of game sites
- Proximity of game sites to the location of the opponent.
- Past experience and practice.
- Seating capacity of available facilities.
- Intention to play games as part of a doubleheader.
- Accessibility from the standpoint of major roads or good roads.
- Quality of gymnasium and quality and availability of sufficient locker room space.
- Rental charges and other related costs.
Information For Teams Entering the District IV Basketball Playoffs
- Each school will be contacted by the game manager or District IV Committee Member with the information about game sites and times.
- Administrators should be aware of their responsibility for crowd control. No noise makers are allowed.
- Cheerleader advisors should be aware of the PIAA restrictions on cheerleading activities.
- In the Quarterfinal and Semi-final Rounds, the host team will wear white uniforms. In the Finals, the team on top in the bracket is the home team and will wear white uniforms.
- The game manager will furnish the game ball for semi-final and final games. The home team will supply the game ball for the Quarterfinals and Semi-finals. Balls used will be Spalding for boys and girls.
- Benches will be assigned by the game manager.
- Three officials will be used for all games.
- League passes and local senior citizen passes will not be accepted.
- An administrator in charge for each school, both coaches, and game officials, will meet with the game manager 10 minutes prior to the start of the game to review the administrator’s responsibility for crowd control and the rules for cheerleaders.
- Only District Champions will qualify for Interdistrict play.
- District IV Teams must play 10 or more games to be eligible for the playoffs.
- Games not played during the regular season due to COVID exposure will be considered a NO CONTEST. If a team's opponent for a scheduled game cannot play due to COVID, it may schedule a replacement game. The results of the replacement game will count for power ratings, provided it is against a PIAA member school and is played prior to the power rating deadline.
- Clarification on Masking: Once playoffs start, any team or individual athlete that refuses to compete due to masking requirements will forfeit.
- Example: Team A requires all visiting teams to wear masks at any of their home events. Team A is the higher seed in basketball and set to host Team B. Team B has received a waiver to not wear masks during competition. If Team A says they will not play unless TEAM B wears masks, Team A would forfeit for refusing to compete.
- Please communicate with schools before competitions (at least 24 hours prior if possible). Most issues can be resolved with good communication.
- Schools that do not wish to participate in the tournament must inform District IV via email to the District Basketball Chairman by 12 noon on Friday, February 19, 2021.
- Teams that are unable to participate on the first date of their class' tournament due to COVID exposure will not be permitted to enter the tournament.
- A team that qualifies for the tournament but must suspend its season due to COVID after the power rating deadline will be eliminated.
- Schools that do not qualify for the tournament and schools that are eliminated from the District tournament may continue their regular season until Saturday, March 27.
- The postponement and/or rescheduling of playoff games will be at the discretion of the District IV Basketball Chairman and the District IV Committee.
- Medals will be awarded to the championship team only (25 individual medals). However, medals will not be presented at the conclusion of the game. Immediately following the completion of each championship game, a plaque will be presented to the championship team.
- PIAA District IV Basketball apparel sales will be done online. A link will be provided on the District IV website. More information is forthcoming.
All ticket sales will be done online through Hometown Ticketing. Every event will be set with a pre-determined number of tickets based on state guidelines as they apply on the date of the event. Each school will receive ONE team code. The school administration is responsible for distribution of codes to athletes/parents of their teams. More information regarding online ticket sales is forthcoming. District IV will charge $6 for all tickets (plus additional fees set by Hometown Ticketing). Ticket availability split will be 60% (Home Team) & 40% (Away Team).
No passes of any kind should be accepted for entry into contests.
Starting Times (Recommended)
*** Time adjustments may be made by the District IV Basketball Chairman as needed to accommodate facility use and COVID related issues.
- Single: 1:00 pm
- Double-header: 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm
- Triple-header: 1:00 pm, 2:30 pm, and 4:00 pm
- Single: 7:00 pm
- Double-header: 6:00 pm and 7:30 pm
- Triple-header: 5:00 pm, 6:30 pm, and 8:00 pm