Please take time to review the rules for the 2017-2018 PIAA District IV Championships in Competitive Spirit. I am enclosing a copy of the rules as approved by the District IV Committee for your convenience.
The defined season for Competitive Spirit begins the first day of fall sports and ends with the last day of the PIAA Basketball Championships. Tryouts can be held outside the defined season, but all other season and out-of season rules and regulations apply. The District IV Championships will be held on January 6, 2018 at Shamokin Area High School beginning at 12:00 noon. The PIAA State Championships will be held Friday and Saturday, January 19 and 20, 2018 in Hershey. There will be four divisions of competition – Small Varsity (15 and below), Medium Varsity (16-20), Large Varsity (21 and above), and Co-ed (for teams with at least one male athlete). District IV will have a total of five qualifiers for the PIAA State Championships.
The District and State Level Championships will be judged by Varsity judges and an entry fee of $100 is required at both the District Level and State Level Championships. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (570) 648-5731 X3504.
2000 West State Street
Coal Township, PA 17866
Phone: (570) 648-5731 (3504)
Fax: (570) 648-0601
- To enter the District IV Championships, each school must submit their completed entry form and $100 entry fee no later than 12:00 (noon) on Friday, November 17, 2017.
- There will be four different divisions of competition as follows: Small Varsity (15 and below), Medium Varsity (16-20), Large Varsity (21 and above), and Co-ed.
- District IV will have five (5) qualifiers for the PIAA State Championships. The number of qualifiers from each division (SV, MV, LV, and Coed) will be proportionate to the number of entries in each division at the District IV Championships. For example, if there are 6 entries in SV, 2 in MV, and 2 in LV, the number of state qualifiers per division (based on rounding) will be 3 from SV (60% of 5), 1 from MV (20% of 5), and 1 from LV (20% of 5). If a tie exists between two or more squads for a state qualifier, the tiebreaker will be based on the same criteria used at the State Level Championships. If a division has at least one entry, then that division will be guaranteed at least one state qualifier regardless of the proportion to total entries in the District Level Championships.
- A non-spring floor will be used for both the District and State Level Championships. Spring floors are prohibited.
- Scoring criteria will be based on UCA criteria.
- For all other information not contained in this document, please reference the Competitive Spirit section of the PIAA website.
Information for Teams Entering Competitive Spirit Championships
- Each school will be contacted by the Competitive Spirit Chairman with information about the championship site and times/schedule.
- A warm-up area will be provided for teams.
- Three judges will be used for the championships.
- League passes and local senior citizen passes will not be accepted.
- An administrator, or designee, in charge for each school must be present.
- Ticket prices for admission will be $4.00 for students and $6.00 for adults.
- Contestants, managers, and coaches will be admitted when identified by school officials.
The entry form is due by 12:00 (noon) Friday, November 17, 2017 and its submission acknowledges agreement to abide by the championship rules of District IV PIAA. District IV member schools are not required to enter District IV championship events.
Entry and participation in the 2017-2018 PIAA District IV Competitive Spirit Championships are voluntary and will cost $100 per school (checks made payable to PIAA District IV). Entry into the 2017-2018 PIAA District IV Competitive Spirit Championships signifies that the member school accepts the fact that the District IV Competitive Spirit Committee reserves the right to make changes in the date of Championships, location of Championships, management, operation, and schedule of the 2017-2018 PIAA District IV Championships if, in the judgment of the Committee, it becomes necessary to do so.
An eligibility sheet must also be submitted. Fax (570) 648-0601.